As the saying goes, you only have one chance to make a first impression, and in this age of Social Media, first impressions are often based on your profile picture.
They say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but the reality is that it is done all the time. We are judged, right or wrong, by how we are dressed, how we act, and, in the world of Social Media profiles, our profile picture.
When we are presenting ourselves to the business community, or to potential clients, we want to be seen as trustworthy, likable and approachable.
To help you with that, here are 5 things to think about before you click the upload button.
- First of all, if you are using Social Media for business, you absolutely need a profile picture. LinkedIn has discovered that “having a professional LinkedIn photo makes your profile 14 times more likely to be viewed.”
- To use a cliché, put your best face forward. While you may love your latest selfie, or the shot of you at the beach last summer, chances are they won’t be the most “business appropriate” images of you. You will get much more traction with a more business-like image that shows you at your best.
- Use a headshot. People want to see your face and your eyes. Profile pictures are only so big, so if you are showing too much of your body in the image, you will lose the “contact” that a headshot provides.
- Speaking of “contact”, your eyes should be “looking” the viewer. This makes you the focal point of the image. Looking off camera is fine for some portraits, but for your business portrait, you want to be looking straight at the viewer. This adds a sense of approachability and honesty.
- Dress appropriately. If you are in business, dress the part for your portrait. A crisp shirt, a modest blouse or company branded outfit are all good choices. Even if you dress more casual at the office, taking the time to choose a professional outfit will be well worth it.
Is it time to update your business portrait? The Pridham Group offers both studio and location portrait sessions. Drop us a line to book your session.